Molly from Omaha says, "promote!"

Monday, January 16, 2006

Tip #5

Tip #5: Leave handwritten notes. People pay much more attention to a personally handwritten note than they ever would to an advertisement or mass produced flyer. Buy a little notepad and write a note on each page that's sort of a plug for a band or podcast. Take the notepad with you everywhere you go, and leave notes places. You could tuck them under windshield wipers, sneak them into pockets of clothes at a thrift store, use them as "bookmarks" in books at the library, or "accidentally" leave them behind at a public place. Be creative with what you write on the note - think of what might grab someone's attention or make them curious.

I'm really excited about this tip, and I'm planning on putting examples of notes I leave up on the blog. So stay tuned! I'd love to hear about examples of notes you leave (or any other promotions ideas, as well). Just leave a comment here, or email me (mollyfromomaha at gmail dot com) by clicking the link at the top of the sidebar.

In other news, an audio comment I sent was featured at the very beginning of the electrical language podcast, show number 5! It's a great new music podcast, and you should all give it a listen. I heard a rumor that an audio comment I sent to Grant might be played on Three From Leith this week, too!

5 Comments:

  • I'll give this one a try!

    By Blogger gabor, at Mon Jan 16, 04:06:00 AM CST  

  • Heya Molly!
    An extension of this might be to 'accidentally' leave a CD somewhere, either your own CD or something you burned that includes your own music. Put the note on the CD. Make it something cryptic or intriguing like, "Boris, remember how we danced the night away to these songs? Love, Petal." Or, "Percy, you have got to hear this band! You're getting a sneak preview before we sign them to Universal, so don't share!!!"
    It could work...

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Mon Jan 16, 01:02:00 PM CST  

  • THought I'd share my variation:

    I designed an A4 sheet in Photoshop which just said "Get a new iPod for Christmas ?" followed by my newer logo with the URL on it, with "for the best new music every week" under it. At the bottom, I'd designed it with lots of little tear-offs with the show URL. No other info, and no mention of 'podcast' as no-one here knows what they are...

    Stuck it up on the noticeboard at work and within two days 3/4 of them had gone !

    My audience figures have taken a huge jump up in the last month, but not sure why since I only put the poster up last Thursday.

    Maybe it's being mentioned on this blog ;-)

    By Blogger Grant - Three From Leith, at Wed Jan 18, 04:52:00 PM CST  

  • Freddy, good to see you on here man! That would definately work, especially with a podcast. hmmmm

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Thu Jan 19, 03:21:00 AM CST  

  • Fantastic ideas, Freddy and Grant! Regarding leaving CDs - it's a little bit more of an investment (if you plan to do very many), but it would probably have better results, so definitely worth a shot!

    I worked on some little flyers with the tear-off tabs just the other day! It's for a project that's not finished, so I can't really explain, but there will be more details to come.

    This is getting exciting! :)

    By Blogger Molly, at Thu Jan 19, 06:46:00 AM CST  

Post a Comment

<< Home